Monday, June 25, 2012

Shrimp and Scallops "alla griglia"


When I think back on people who inspired me to cook, my friend Barbara tops the list. She was the first person I knew who was a "foodie" and she got me interested in food magazines and exploring recipes I would have never found on my own. This recipe came from her collection and I think of her every time I make it. The original recipe calls for broiling, but we've gotten excellent results on the grill. Makes a wonderful appetizer or main course dish - also fantastic over pasta. 


Shrimp and Scallops "alla griglia"
serves 4-6


Ingredients
1 lb. medium shrimp
1 lb. scallops
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup chopped prsley
3 garlic clovers, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry unflavored breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
lemon wedges


Shell and devein shrimp. Wash shrimp and scallops under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, combine oil, parsley, garlic, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Add shrimp and scallops to mixture. Mix until well coated. Let stand 1 hour. Preheat grill (or broiler). Remove shrimp and scallops from marinade. Gently press some extra breadcrumb mixture onto shrimp and scallops (this is an art...pack on too much and the crumbs won't get crispy, too few and you'll wish you'd added more). Grill on indirect medium heat (or broil on hi) 2 minutes, or until underside is golden. Turn skewers over and grill or broil on the other side 2 minutes more, or until shrimp is opaque and crumbs are golden. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.





No comments: