Saturday, May 12, 2012

Candied orange peel


DSC_0007

I came into a treasure trove of oranges when my friend Lily brought in a box of fruit from her tree right before Christmas. They were just perfect. Very tart, and just sweet enough. Naturally, I went into a flurry of marmalade making from my favorite jam cookbook - Blue Chair Fruit. After two batches, I still had oranges left over. What to do? My friend Emanuela knew instantly. Candied orange peel!

The recipe is a little elaborate. There's boiling the peel, draining off the bitter water and boiling again followed by trimming, slicing, simmering in a simple syrup and drying on a rack for multiple days. It took a lot of patience to wait and hope for the sticky goo to harden into candy. Finally, a brief dunk in some sugar and voila! Deliciousness that's worth the trouble.

No comments: