Saturday, May 12, 2012

Kumquat Salsa


DSC_0013
I have a special place in my heart for kumquats. They are such a cheerful petite size and their flavor is the perfect balance of sweet citrus with just a wee bit of delicate floralness. Also - they're in season now so I had to bring some home from the farmer's market.

I never knew quite what to do with them until I went to a local restaurant and ordered a gorgeous halibut dish with a kumquat salsa. It was magical. I came home and figured out my own version. Apologies in advance for my measurements - but you really can't go wrong. Just mix and match ingredient amounts until it suits you. This salsa has a perfect sweet/savory balance and is wonderful over grilled chicken or fish.

Kumquat Salsa
A nice handful of fresh kumquats (6-10 or more)
1 shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, or chives or parsley (one or all of these)
2 tablespoons pitted and chopped green or kalamata olives (or a combination)
extra virgin olive oil (or meyer lemon infused olive oil)

Halve and chop the kumquats length-wise into thin strips. Combine with minced shallots, chopped herbs and olives and capers in a bowl. Drizzle generously with olive oil and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to let the flavors combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a dash of fresh lemon juice, a splash  more oil, and salt to taste. Feel free to adjust ingredient amounts as desired. Best at room temperature. Will keep, refrigerated, for about a week.

DSC_0012

No comments: