Sunday, April 15, 2012

Borgo Food Festival


DSC_0029

Our friend Chris is in town on a surprise impromptu visit this week. He's part of what we call our "chosen family". We go waaaaaaay back. When we all get together it really means one thing: a gourmet food smack down.
"Borgo" and I have many things in common - a love of classical music, the outdoors, and the history we have from going to college together. I'm particularly grateful that he and my hubby "Pepo" get along like peas and carrots (we're big on the nicknames around here). Together we're a fierce trio and we share a wild love for all things food and wine related - especially if they are Italian. Whenever we get together, we're always eating, talking about food, or planning our next meal.
Last night - we decided to recreate an amazing chicken and olive dish that we had when we were in Chianti last year.

DSC_0030
And of course - we had to add a slow cooked peperonata to the menu along with
DSC_0049
Carciofi alla Romana (inspired by our Italian teacher and friend Emanuela). Both recipes are from Saveur's April 2010 issue on classic Roman food. I threw some kumquat shavings on the artichokes at the last minute since I had them around. Buonissimo!

DSC_0040

And what better way to complete the meal than one of my favorite farro salads? This one has turned into a household favorite.
Tonight - there's rumor of a comparative gnocchi tasting. I'm dying to make this meyer lemon gnocchi recipe I love. Borgo wants something more tradizionale. Better rest up to get my game on for day 2!

No comments: