Sunday, April 22, 2012

Strawberry Ice Cream


DSC_0002

Damn you Borgo! You started it all with an innocent question... and now we're officially  hooked. You are evil and we love you. This Saturday I picked up several baskets of Albion strawberries with one thing in mind: ice cream. I should note for the record that I'm not a fan of fruit ice cream. I'm all chocolate all the time. But strawberry just might be my favorite new flavor and it couldn't be easier to make. 

Strawberry Ice Cream 
(from the Cuisinart recipe booklet that came with the machine!)
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled (I think I used more like 3 cups, but who's counting?)
3/4 cup whole milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1. Put hulled strawberries into the bowl of a food processor fitted with chopping blade. Pulse strawberries until rough/finely chopped depending on preference. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in strawberries and all their juices. Cover and refrigerate 1 - 2 hours, or overnight.
3. Put mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Try not to eat all at once.

No comments: