Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Reaper buns!


DSC_0024
I really shouldn't write about this. Seriously. It's almost too good to share.

Last week at the Berkeley Farmer's market I had a life changing experience. Feeling a little peckish, some bakery treats at one of the stands caught my attention and I had my eye on a soft pretzel. While I was waiting for the customer ahead of me, I saw a sugar-dusted thing called a Reaper Bun and asked for one of those as well.

What they should have called it was a Ridiculous Piece of Heaven! 
As I sank my teeth into the slightly dense doughy deliciousness, I think I may have let out an audible sigh. Then I noticed that a bit of caramelized sugary goodness was melting in my mouth. I quickly handed over the less exciting pretzel to my hubby Pepo.

I spent a full week fantasizing about returning to the stall (which I have since learned is OctoberFeast Bavarian breads) so that I could enhance the experience of my next bun with a perfect cup of brewed-on-the-spot coffee from Blue Bottle. This time, I noticed there was quite a line. Luckily, there were plenty of buns to go 'round.

No comments: