Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Favorite squares


IMG_0026
One of the things I enjoy most about quilting is watching how it all comes together after you build it piece by piece, one 2-inch square at a time. In the end, it comes across as a whole, yet each square is unique.
So far, all of the quilts I've made have been for my nieces - so naturally they're quite sentimental. First there was a log cabin quilt for Paloma, then a nine-patch for Jacey, now Kylie's nine patch and soon Bella's. Though the girls live in different locations and are from different sides of our family, I wanted to connect them through the quilts. So, I snuck a bit of fabric from one niece's quilt into the fabric of another's, and so on.
Some of the squares have small stories behind them.
IMG_0033
This square is in tribute to my dear friend Leslie who is responsible for inspiring me to create this blog and for getting me to start quilting. The red and white fabric with the birds on it came from a jar of homemade honeycomb that she brought to my house over the holidays one year. The jar was tied with a strip of fabric that I thought was too cute to give away. When I started Kylie's quilt, I remembered the fabric and it was just wide enough to make two squares.
IMG_0028
The flower and heart fabric above was also used in baby Paloma's quilt as was the sweet floral below.

IMG_0030

IMG_0034
Jacey and Kylie are sisters, so I thought their quilts should share many fabrics. As I decided what squares to make, I was also thinking of the afternoons they might spend trying to find matching squares from one quilt to the next. The japanese "rice" fabric above is in both quilts.

IMG_0031
The owls in this square are from some fabric I made pajamas out of. Owls are near and dear to my heart - so I hope Kylie thinks of her Auntie Mary when she sees these little guys... but she'll have to wait until Christmas!

No comments: